tarricoe

Recruitment Message

Considering the circumstances I have been using this:

Hello there!

You're probably getting lots of other recruitment telegrams right now, but I would like to cordially invite you to join our region, [region=Equilism].
We have been a vibrant and active region for much of Nationstates history, with a powerful and positive influence on inter-regional politic and warfare.

Unfortunately the era in which we were most powerful is over. Our region is now in decline.

I am sending this message because I do not wish to see my great region suffer. That's why I need your help. If you are a new player or an old one we'd
be glad to have as part of the Equilism community.

Regards,
Tarricoe

Thoughts?

Edited by tarricoe

Our region is now in decline.

Not exactly the best advertisement. Nobody wants to sail on your ship if you tell them it's sinking.

I think it'd be best if we had three templates for recruitment messages of three different lengths. I've been using one that's a bit longer than tarricoe's, and with building on an older template, I'd like to present these three for further comments and improvements:

The short one

Hello there!

You're probably getting lots of other recruitment telegrams right now, but I would like to cordially invite you to join our region, [region]Equilism[/region]. We have been a vibrant and active region for much of Nationstates history, with a powerful and positive influence on inter-regional politic and warfare.

Unfortunately time and chance happen to everyone, and our once busy region is having a bit of a slump right now. I am sending this message because I wish to see new blood and new ideas join our region. That's why I need your help. Whether you are a new player or an old one we'd be glad to have as part of the Equilism community.

Regards,
(your name here)

The medium-length one

Hello ,

Welcome to NationStates! I'm sure you're receiving many recruitment telegrams right now, but I would like to cordially invite you to join our region, [region]Equilism[/region].

[region]Equilism[/region] is a place of discussion and participation, with a history of some 8 years. We've always been a collection of friendly and international players with varied interests, such as role-playing, politics and NationStates government. Currently [region]Equilism[/region] is undergoing huge changes after a period of inactivity, so now is the best time to hop along and get to shape the very future of the region. We welcome your input!

So come on over and check out our forum at www.equilism.org/forum. Interested in joining? Just click on [region]Equilism[/region], and click on the link that says "Move your nation to Equilism today".

The choice of membership in a region is perhaps the most important one a new nation can make; we encourage you to take your time and consider your options carefully. Hope to see you on the forum!

With best regards,
Kubrikistan,
on behalf of the community of [region]Equilism[/region]

And the long(er) one

Hello (nation name) ,

I would like to extend an invitation to you to join our realm named [region]Equilism[/region]. We are a vibrant realm with members from all over the world.

Our realm has a long and varied history, from Empire to Monarchy and from Assembly to Senate. Currently we are in the process of reinvigorating our government, redefining our role in the wider NationStates, and rethinking how to get the most out of the whole NationStates experience. And we would love to have your input!

On our Forum you can engage in discussions in our Open Debate Board, have a drink with your fellow members in the E-bar, discuss Equilism's politics in the Senate, play games in our Arcade or in the Fun and Games section, or engage in some Role-playing in one of our many rp-worlds (including Equilism's long-runnign Star Trek roleplaying game).

Curious? Here is how to get to our region. Click on [region]Equilism[/region] to find yourself transported to our region on NS. Click on the “move your nation to Equilism today” sentence and voilá, you're done. Once you're a member of our region be sure to check out our off-site forum, www.equilism.org/forum, to get the most of your new-found Equilismerness.

If you have any questions about Equilism, don’t hesitate to send me a telegram back.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name here)
recruiter for the Realm of Equilism

What do people think? I'll obviously save them with tags like [YOUR-NATION-NAME-HERE] instead of anyone's name, but as a basis for the templates? Feel free to suggest improvements or changes!

I like them, especially that first one. It's got honesty in admitting our decline while putting it across positively.

As a more or less confused rookie, I think a recruitment video link placed within the Recruitment Telegrams would be a good, and novel idea which would standout to Nations new and old.

The video could be uploaded to Youtube, and could contain a warm welcome to all Nations (rookies/experienced), a description of what a Region is, what a Nation is, how to play on the NS website and how to vote on Issues and how they affect your Nation, as well as an instructional tutorial using video screen-shots on how to join Equilism and provide a couple examples of how to use the forum, and how to play the on the forum.

This project alone could be fun for EQ members and provide a real project for EQ Broadcasting!

Edited by Afterfostercare

As a more or less confused rookie, I think a recruitment video link placed within the Recruitment Telegrams would be a good, and novel idea which would standout to Nations new and old.

The video could be uploaded to Youtube, and could contain a warm welcome to all Nations (rookies/experienced), a description of what a Region is, what a Nation is, how to play on the NS website and how to vote on Issues and how they affect your Nation, as well as an instructional tutorial using video screen-shots on how to join Equilism and provide a couple examples of how to use the forum, and how to play the on the forum.

This project alone could be fun for EQ members and provide a real project for EQ Broadcasting!

Seconded! For a self-titled "EQ Wannabe" you have great ideas.

Other NS regions have used videos in the past as a part of their recruitment schemes. It would take a pretty good video to convince me that it's a worthwhile idea, as I'm far more comfortable with an explanatory wall of text.

That said, we shouldn't limit ourselves to the box, and I'm determined not to be an anti-technology old codger here. Perhaps we could use the old internet trick of cats to attract prospective new nations, in this proposed infomercial.

It could be a voice over of cute cat videos from around the internet, or a short video with clips of cats spliced in between points, or something. I mean, who doesn't like cats?

I like the idea of an Equilism infomercial. :) I especially think that working on it might be fun, so the project would to my mind be worthy if only for that.

We could use our regional anthem, or a sample of it, in the video.. If it still is our regional anthem, that is. :s

I do have some reservations on people's ability and interest to watch a recruitment video, but maybe we could make an informercial to be posted (in link) to our regional infosheet? Like something to get people to join our forum / other regional activities. With cats. :D

I was fairly sure we decided on Fanfare for the Common Man as our anthem...we really do need an official post outlining that though, it took me 10 minutes of searching to only find it mentioned in an FA update. Even then, it seemed like it tied with 'Last of the Wilds'... But I'm happy to call Fanfare the anthem, nobody will know any better.

And now to play the anthem, for science!

Dear Equilites:

I am new to the region of Equilism. I'm finding it difficult navigating our forums. Would there be a vision statement for Equilism around?

As a new member, I would very much like to have a place to go, an orientation area that is. As for the recruitment message, I think perhaps explaining how Equilism would benefit new nations may assist in attracting their loyalty. Also, explaining the overall goal that Equilism is striving for may serve to assist nations in their decision. What would be one's motive for joining Equilism?

Perhaps having a mentoring program in which new nations are paired up with an Equilite veteran to guide them through the first two weeks upon their joining? Or sending a PM to a new nation with a welcome package of information. This will also assist in increasing retention.

Sincerely,

M. Viper

Queen of Dunngen

Welcome to Equilism :)

Part of the problem with navigating the forum, I think, is that we've got over eight years of history and successive governments. It's been reorganized quite a few times over that time, but the last couple times the reorg wasn't very thourough.

The new government is just getting started, and they've been discussing working on fixing the problem. Your input as a new member is very valuable, so don't hesitate to post your thoughts and ideas. Thank you for your ideas ! :)

We've had mentor programs before, and it's still a great idea.

In the meantime, you're welcome to look for signs of life in the E-Bar. It's a thread in the RP section. I'd link it, but I'm on my iPhone at the moment, which makes thy a bit more of a hassle. If you get to it, I'll shout you a drink.

For the record, the e-bar is here. :)

Thank you very much for your input, QoD! As West said, we are working on cleaning up the forums a bit, and a general statement of purpose/vision is not a bad idea at all. We'll work to make our forum more accessible, as you aren't the only one with problems navigating. :)

We've had a mentor program before, as mentioned, but reviving it is not at all a bad idea. I'll work to include it in our "welcome to the forum" -message templates. As I will do with your suggestions for these messages.

Once again, thank you, and welcome to Equilism!