Sign in to follow this  
Zeorus

Purgare Ecclesia

Johann looks into his glass of wine thoughtfully.

Count Johann V: It sounds reasonable. I would be interested in hearing what he has to say. May I suggest that Father Cornelis join us to give a theological perspective on this Savonarola?

Sir Warren Westwick: Yes, an excellent idea. With your blessing then, we will go to him tomorrow. My informers have tracked his location; he is apparently preaching at the Basilica di Santa Maria Novella in Florence.

Edited by Randgriz

Count Johann V: Agreed.

After the meal is finished, Johann and Cornelis retire to an inn near Westwick's estate. The following morning, word is sent to Nassau that Johann and Cornelis have begun their journey to Florence. The ride in their coach is quiet, as usual. Johann studies a map of Europe, marking places of interest. Cornelis pauses from his prayers and looks at Johann.

Fr. Cornelis: Your Highness?

Johann looks up from his map, showing Cornelis has his attention.

Fr. Cornelis: Let us suppose for a moment that this Savonarola's theological goals for the Church differ from our own. What would our course of action be?

Count Johann V: That would depend on how different his beliefs are from ours and wherein they differ. I doubt that there will be any differences significant enough to prevent us from working with him.

Fr. Cornelis: You're probably right, sire. I do wonder, however...among the men of the cloth I met in Rome there was talk of a priest in Florence that taught God's word with passion and fire but was so charismatic that he drew souls to him instead of to God. Suppose they refer to Savonarola. If it is, the differences between him and the corrupt churchmen in Rome would be negligible- they lust after wealth as he lusts after fame and glory.

Count Johann V: You raise an interesting point, Father. I would advise you to be slow to judgment, however- a priest is just as apt to gossip as any other man.

Fr. Cornelis: Yes, Your Highness.

Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, Florence.

*Fryer Giralamo Savanorola was in the middle of yet another sermon.*

Giralamo Savonorola:“I here stand before you, a true servant of our one true lord and master, our creator which sent his only son to die for our sins…And yet that so-called Pope Alexander Sixtus the hypocrite has not practised what he preaches, living in luxury and decadence…Usury, Lechery and Simony, only a small part of what the Vatican commits within their wide list of sins…Not unlike the Medici, and other families of that nature…All their material wealth and worldly possessions will mean nothing on the day of judgement, as the archangel Gabrialle and the rest of the archangels will lift only the truly faithful up into the kingdom of heaven, while all the sinners and Sodomites including those that lay within St Peter’s Basilica in Rome shall burn.”

(OOC: I’m not realy up on Christian theology to write too many of these, lol)

Edited by Svunbrink

ooc: We could share responsibility for him after this if you're in difficulty, it's just at the moment that I need another input. :)

ic:

*As the Friar continues his sermon, Sir Westwick, Count Johann and Father Cornelis, enter the Basilica and meld into the crowd. As the Friar continues, Sir Westwick leans to the Count's ear.*

Sir Warren Westwick: This man risks excommunication with such words. He is brave, if nothing else. This is why we should be careful in our dealings with him. If we allow our names to be known widely beside his own we may all one day perish upon the Inquisition's flames.

Edited by Randgriz

*Yusuf and Machiavelli within the Basilica as the Friar continues his sermon, both in generic brown hooded robes, whispering in each other’s ears.*

Yusuf Imad al-Wahid:“Well he is certainly nothing if not eloquent…I wonder how long this will last before the Inquisition gets wind of this.”

Niccolo Machiavelli:“Well time will tell, I was in Rome a few weeks ago hearing whispers of his name around d many monastery’s and nunnery’s, it won’t be long until the Pope himself hears of this heretic…However if the situation where in reverse I can pretty much tell you, he would be excercising power in a similar fashion.”

Yusuf Imad al-Wahid: “Yes true enough…He could also serve as a useful distraction.”

Yusuf Imad al-Wahid:“Yes…But he is talking about people like us who will burn…And eventhough I don’t see that ever happening in any kind of spiritual way…we might see him making our lives difficult here in this world.”

Edited by Baal System

ooc: We could share responsibility for him after this if you're in difficulty, it's just at the moment that I need another input. :)

(OOC: Yeah I don't mind that)

Johann and Cornelis nod solemnly.

Fr. Cornelis: Just remember that my ordination, while helpful, won't protect us.

The trio takes their seats in the cathedral and listen to the rest of Savonarola's sermon.

*Westwick waits until the sermon ends and the faithful begin to file out of the doors. He doesn't know al-Wahid or Machiavelli's faces, and passes without recognizing them. He quickly takes Savonorola's arm and leans to his ear.*

Sir Warren Westwick: Friar, my name is Westwick, I need a moment of your time.

(OOC: Sorry I have been a little busy trying to make my own superhero rp in another region)

*Giralamo Savonorla had two masks, when he was speaking within his sermons it was as if he had been possesed, however when he finished it was as if he was almost normal.*

Giralamo Savonarola:"Yes speak dear deciple."

*Yusuf and Machiavelli remained behind as well. As did Ariana Vhetti Morrel in her usual nun uniform, fleaning up after everyone left, acting as a spy for both Yusuf and Machiavelli.*

*Westwick releases his grasp and looks around, noticing the people still in the Basilica.*

Sir Warren Westwick: I would feel more comfortable discussing this in private. My, and by extension, your enemies have eyes and ears everywhere.

(OOC: Sorry, Ball and I have been a little busier as of late)

IC:

*Giralamo looked around saw two men and one nun sweeping up the rest of the church after the serman.*

Giralamo Savonarola:"Come with me."

*He led the men down a large corridor and into his private quaters and lucked the big wooden dooor behind them.*

Giralamo Savonarola:"I take it that what you wat to speak to me about is of a more unsavouray nature to warrent such privacy?...Correct?"

Edited by Svunbrink

Sir Warren Westwick: Unsavory? No. Unorthodox? Most certainly.

Allow me to reintroduce myself. I am Warren Antonius Westwick, lord-in-exile and Don of the Monteverdi clan of Florence. To put it simply, my friend and I are men of influence who share your concerns about the new Pope and his impurities. We want to see the Papacy returned to God's light, and we want to work with you to do it.

Sir Warren Westwick: I'd presume that would be a question more accurately aimed at yourself. Surely you preach for a reason Friar, with an objective. Of course you do.

Your word as you preach turns the people against the Borgias. You may not often name names, but you speak of the tyrants who usurp the freedom of the people, and their allies, the rich and powerful who neglect and exploit the poor. The Medici too, are among this group.

I'll provide you with funding to expand the scope of your word and it's circulation, and I'd also like to assign you bodyguards from some of the various mercenaries who work for me; you're making enemies fast.

*As if to drive Sir Westwick's word home, slamming can be heard on the door.. and if anyone were to look outside they were see a small group of heavily armed men with blood crosses across their chests; members of the Sangue Guardia, Cardinal Cavalleri's personal army.. and they clearly weren't there just to talk.*

*Both Yusuf and Machiavelli watched the events unfold. They saw what looked to be a miniature inquisition storm into the building and run right past them without a second thought. Thet quietly crapt down the corridor to observe the events.*

Yusuf Imad al-Wahid:“That was fast…Is the inquisition always this…Pervasive?”

Niccolo Machiavelli: “It depends where you are. In Milan they are practically non-existent, they are ubiquities in Rome and Naples, and they have an understanding in Venice and Aragon. I propose we get out of here your excellency, your nun friend here can regroup with us at my residence in the evening, we still need to to gather information. “

*Yusuf nodded his head in agreement. Both of them left and Sister Morrel remained.*