Astarial

Naturalization Telegram

This is an awesome addition!

Also, a collaborative draft sounds good to me.

I'd imagine we'd need to mention things like - the WA delegate (what he does, why he should get your support, how he can help you), the RMB, and the forum, and what you can do there. And something about being pleased they chose to join us.

Man, the former immigration department's really had a lot of it's work taken away from it/automated by NS lately. I'm not complaining.

Agreed, very cool. I'll draft something for us to discuss as soon as I have the time, unless someone else beats me to it.

This is the Welcome telegram I'm using in TWP for reference. Equilism's needs will of course be different:

twp_welcome_tg.jpg

I'm pleased with my Welcome telegram results so far. I wouldn't say that it's reduced the number of new nations leaving the region, but it is increasing the number of new nations joining the WA, and that's good for everyone.

In the first day I've had 215 telegrams delivered, 3 blocked, 2 telegram replies.

The welcome telegram will need some tweaking though, and I have already changed my endorsement telegram.

I've written a preliminary draft, but this needs a lot of work, since I was in no mood to leaf through my thesaurus. The structure is (gratefully) based on West's one.

Welcome to Equilism [NATIONNAME]!

We're glad you chose our region amongst the assuredly many that approached you. Now that you've joined our region, I'd like to invite you to our off-site forums. This is the place where we are most active. Here you can engage in discussions on our Open Debate Board, have a drink with our other members in the E-bar, discuss about Equilism's politics, join the Imperial Guard, play games in our Arcade or in the Fun and Games section and you can even engage in some Role-play. Most importantly, you can get to know the other members of your new region.

As a Commonwealth of Nations, we trust our founder Chaucerin to protect the rights of all active nations to have a say in the government and how the region is run, and of course have fun. Equilism has a strong history of democracy, freedom and respect for regional sovereignty. If you're interested in government, check out the Senate sign-up thread for more information.

I would also recommend joining the NationStates World Assembly, to get the most out of the game. In the World Assembly you can vote on international issues and have a say in the questions debated on the Security Council.

Again, very much welcome to Equilism! :)

- Kubrikistan,

Chief Minister and World Assembly Delegate of Equilism,

Chairman of the Board

Just a couple notes, offsite links don't work in telegrams, so you'll need to type out the url as a copy/paste link, and/or direct them to the link in the WFE. And the tag to use for the nationname placeholder is: %NATION%

Just a general note to add on recruiting - we've been dropping in numbers pretty quickly, because a lot of regions have switched to stamp recruiting. The script we use is restricted to one TG every three minutes, but stamps can go out as quickly as nations are founded.

It's $1 US for 1000 stamps, which is generally a little more than enough to cover the number of new nations created in a day, and stamps can be sent at purchase time (but not later) to another nation. We may want to consider moving over to stamp-based recruiting, with people chipping in a dollar here or there as they can afford it (since unlike hosting a script, it's not the kind of thing I can afford all on my own. :P)

As for the TG, here are my suggestions:

Welcome to Equilism, %NATION%! We're glad you chose to join our region from among the many that have surely approached you. Now that you've moved to Equilism, I'd like to invite you to our offsite forums, which can be found in our World Factbook Entry, or by following this link: http://www.equilism.org/forum/index.php. On the forums, you can engage in discussions on our Open Debate Board, have a drink with our other members in the E-bar, discuss Equilism's politics and policies, join the Equilism Army, play games in our Arcade or in the Fun and Games section, and you can even join in some of our roleplays, or start your own. Most importantly, the forums will allow you to get to know the other members of your new regional community. As a Commonwealth of Nations, we entrust our founder [nation]Chaucerin[/nation] with the safety of the region, the security of our community, and the rights of all Equilismers to participate in running the government. Equilism has a strong history of democracy, freedom and respect for regional sovereignty - not to mention friendship and fun! If you're interested in joining the government, check out the Senate sign-up thread for more information, or approach one of our Officers to start helping out in their departments. To get the most out of the game, I would also recommend joining the NationStates World Assembly. Members of the World Assembly can vote on international issues and have a say in the questions debated on the Security Council.Again, welcome to Equilism! I hope to see you on our forums! - Kubrikistan,Chief Minister and World Assembly Delegate of Equilism,Chairman of the Board

Asta's revisions seem quite legit, I would be willing to go with the text as presented above.

What comes to recruiting, I might be able to contribute something for it (not the whol 365 $ per annum, mind you :P), although I generally don't like the concept, as it turns NS players more dependent on paying nationstates money, which probably is the point.

Now that we're talking money though, I would be more willing to chip in to our forum hosting/skin purchase costs, since I seem to recall mention by West that this is all out of his dime (and costs are rising).

I'll buy some stamps as soon as my student loans come in and do some recruiting. :)

Now that we're talking money though, I would be more willing to chip in to our forum hosting/skin purchase costs, since I seem to recall mention by West that this is all out of his dime (and costs are rising).

Thank you, but it's handled, unless someone sees a skin they like and want to buy to be added.

BTW, The New True America was recruiting in Equilism......and I then recieved a request to open relations with TWP by United Group that has an ingame embassy with them. I refused on the basis of Equilsim being allied to TWP, and United Group then closed their embassy with The True New America.

The new politics of recruitment in action. :tiphat:

• Like 1

I like Asta's revision.

I believe that I have some stamps currently sitting around in my main, I'm happy to chip them in to a stamp-recruiting effort to start with. Around $365 a year is still a lot to be paying for our game, even if it's split between many of us in the region.

I like the revised version of the telegram.

I'm not that concern about recruitment telegram. It would be nice if we are as fast as other, but the fact that they are being bombarded by 20+ telegrams upon creation should be enough to delay them from making immediate decision. I actually believe that being later could be an advantage to us.

The important thing is to get people onto the forum.

It's showing clearly enough to be a disadvantage - we're down to 511, from nearly 800 only a month or so ago. Scripted telegrams tend to end up at the end of the telegram queue, meaning people will have already started to ignore them or will have turned off the settings in their preferences.

In terms of stamps, we have two options, I think. The first is that any stamps purchased are sent to my nation, and whenever I have some I turn off the auto-script until they're sent out. The second is that stamps are kept with the nation that purchases them, and anytime someone wants to send some out they talk to me to turn it off, then let me know when they're done so I can turn it on again.

Both have benefits and drawbacks. For the first, it reduces the coordination needed and minimizes the time that we won't be sending any TGs... but stamps can't be transferred except at the time of purchase, so it means that nobody could get theirs back if I were to disappear, and there'd be no way other than trusting my word to ensure I didn't use them for some other purpose. For the second, it's the inverse - stamps are kept under the purchaser's control, but it means having to coordinate so we don't overlap in sending, and reduces the amount of time we're sending out TGs.

I like the revised version of the telegram.

I'm not that concern about recruitment telegram. It would be nice if we are as fast as other, but the fact that they are being bombarded by 20+ telegrams upon creation should be enough to delay them from making immediate decision. I actually believe that being later could be an advantage to us.

The important thing is to get people onto the forum.

I Tend to agree with the sending them out later. I know when I joined the game I got many off the bat. In my thinking sending them asap like that seemed way to much like some sales pitch. So they were politely declined. However, I did pay much more attention to those I got later on. After I had been around a little while.

But sending them later will miss more new nations. Just as I am telling new nations how to block them when they arrive in TWP.

Given that some of us already have stamps sitting around, we might be better off using them up first.

Then I'd be happy to give the first option a go - obviously there need to be protocols developed to make sure we're not wasting out money.

Simple and to the point. One Big Island's welcome tg:

Welcome to One Big Island.

hope you enjoy your new home.

So back to the recruitment idea, I went back and read the previous topic on automatic recruitment script. There was one idea that Asta suggest when we were talking about the possibility of combining auto recruitment with manual recruitment. She suggest hosting a small site which show the list of nations that was yet to be recruited by the script. It is my understanding that the concept is for manual recruiter to modified the list after they have recruited to prevent script overlap.

So I would like to ask whether it is possible to host a similiar site, but Instead of modifying the list of nations. We would modified the script to ignore a certain number of nations starting from that exact time. The number will be based on how many stamps are going to be used.

Poooooosssibly? It's complicated though cause the script is hosted on a server that doesn't like being talked to from the outside.

Kubrik, I'd say go ahead and set our welcome telegram if you haven't already, for sure.

In terms of stamps, we have two options, I think. The first is that any stamps purchased are sent to my nation.........

Still up for this ?

Definitely.

Also, did we ever set the naturalization TG? :unsure:

Oh, and as a note, the way TGs work has been tweaked - previously., recruitment TGs sent to a full inbox would bounce. Now, they'll push any previously received recruitment TGs out of the box whether or not they've been read, while for nations with an inbox full of non-recruitment TGs, the TG will be delivered and immediately deleted.

So that gives some advantage back to slower deliveries.

I'll take any advantage we can get. And I'll send you some stamps.

"Welcome Telegram: Written 103 days ago by Kubrikistan." - looks like it's running.