Sign in to follow this  
The Grim Reaper

The Equilism German Club (Interest in Learning German - No Prior Experience)

This is just sending out the feelers to see if anyone in the region wants to start a Languages group to learn German (or another language, maybe).

I'm a total beginner myself - I know a couple of us had a thing going on with Duolingo, which has started to peter out.

But I was thinking maybe we could try to start that up again at some point, in a more communal setting, perhaps not with Duolingo.

This is less an idea and more a "hey, anyone want to learn German?" question, really :P

You have my absolute attention. I am a beginner as well and would welcome a chance to participate in study group.

Ich mag Deutsche.

I learnt a little for a couple of years in school, but the above is all I remember (as well as Schokolade, of course). Currently refreshing my memory of Spanish on Duolingo. It's okay for basic vocab, but the more you learn the complexities of the language you should also be speaking it out loud, otherwise IMO you're not learning it properly. This is a downfall for most online language learning programs. :(

It's okay for basic vocab, but the more you learn the complexities of the language you should also be speaking it out loud, otherwise IMO you're not learning it properly.

Agreed, the listening program in duolingo does not help at accent at all. There are also several time that I said the wrong answer, but somehow they said I am right.

We could do some skype chat in our group, but it will be us all novice advising each others.

Maybe I can be of help. I have little experience with online language learning, but at least I'm a native speaker. Disclaimer: I'm able to write perfect Standard High German, but I'm speaking with a thick Franconian accent.

Ah, and I recommend Mark Twain's essay "The awful German language". It's from 1880, but not exactly outdated. We sure love complicated grammar rules, exceptions to them, and exceptions to the exceptions.

Yeah, I was actually thinking we could start doing informal Skype sessions maybe, after we do a bit of written work so we know what's actually what.

And Rogamark, you are always welcome to help us not be completely and utterly lost :P

Anyone mind if I had this moved to the Uni`s club sectoin, I`ll put you any the index, you guys don`t even need to fill out a app since it was pre made.

For those interested in Germany and the German language, I'd like to recommend this Youtube channel from a fellow Upper Franconian I just learned about. The owner is British, but moved to Germany a couple of years ago. He seems to speak German quite well, and while his videos are entertaining in nature, the information he gives about Germany and German are accurate. They are in English, most of them with German subtitles.

Since there are at least five members interested, do you want me to set up a German/Germany university course for the next session?

Edited by Rogamark

@Rogamark If you want to do that, I would be interested.

I also thought we could give it a start by at least trying to talk in German in this thread. It does not needs to be perfect, but it should be fun and interesting to try.

And yes, I am pretty sure that I am doing it terribly below since I rely heavily on google translate. :P

Ich denke dass wir könnten versuchen sprechen zu auf Deutsch in diesem Thread Es wird schwierig und nervig sein, aber es ist eine gute Übung.

Edited by Felasia

Ich denke dass wir könnten versuchen sprechen zu auf Deutsch in diesem Thread Es wird schwierig und nervig sein, aber es ist eine gute Übung.

Ja.

And yes, I am pretty sure that I am doing it terribly below since I rely heavily on google translate. :P

The Google Translator usually gets the wording right, but struggles with the syntax, especially when it comes to subordinate clauses. (Der Google Translator findet normalerweise die richtigen Wörter, hat aber Probleme mit der Syntax, besonders bei Nebensätzen.)

In the right word order, it looks like this: (In der richtigen Satzstellung sieht es so aus:)

Ich denke, dass wir versuchen könnten, in diesem Thread auf Deutsch zu sprechen. Es wird schwierig und nervig sein, aber es ist eine gute Übung.