Small Huts

University of Equilism Cultural Event : Fall 2014

students.jpg

Greetings Equilists;

I was speaking with Kinzville and Rogamark a little while ago about doing something Back-to-School..ish with the University of Equilism. Obviously nobody wants to have actual school in NS since there’s already enough of that IRL, but it seems like a great opportunity to have a unique cultural experience to share with our friends and neighbours around the NS world.

What I was thinking was gathering a few experienced NationStatesers to post essay lectures on topics that don’t normally get exposure to new players and old, perhaps, “what is the future of Cosmopolitainism in NS” or something else interesting to which there could be a some discussion and questions for the “professor”. Three or four such threads might be enough, seven or eight might seem too many. We could also have a Frosh section where we play spam games and such.

This would be a great way to stir interest in Equilism, especially to new players. I think this could work particularly well for the week or 10 days beginning November 1st in the case of another Zombie Apocalypse, an event which brought myself and many other Nations to the Region, and keep them here to participate.

This is the thread to brainstorm how this could work best, who our Guest Lecturers would be, how open to other Regions we should make it and other such details. please weigh in on what you think could work and how you can help.

tush

Thanks for starting the discussion about this, SH. I'm afraid I don't know much about what our lectures should be about, but I'd be glad to set up everything, talk with other regions, etc.

I'd be glad to give a lecture, but I'm not sure yet about what. Something interregional is probably a good topic, and cosmopolitanism is one of my favorite words.

As for lecturers, when I read "experienced NS player", I automatically think Asta. Cormac may also be a good choice - that'll be probably one of the more hotly debated lectures, but debate means activity. To get some foreign speakers, why don't we publish an open call in the upcoming foreign dispatch and the university selects a few - in agreement with the Home Office, since it's a cultural event.

I might be available or interested in giving a lecture if somebody wanted me to.

I suppose I've probably been around long enough to be considered experienced. Not quite sure what I'ld give a lecture on. If I had to choose anyone in Equilism to give a lecture, I would probably nominate Chauce.

I think having an Equilism lecturer or two is great, but if we can invite people from farther afield, either allies or even those a little less acquainted would, i think, be ideal. If this event can draw from all corners of NS then the ideas and attraction can be broader based. Bonus points for vastly differing outlooks among the topics.

*blows dust off of the deans desk and sees all these people in the schools courtyard* Huh, oh guess I came back in time. I like the ideas put forth so far. As for drawing farther from each NS feild and landscape we could talk with FA about posting about it in Embassy's and such. Get some people from toher regions and such.

It's closing in so we had better have something concrete.

Shall we invite those potential lecturers already mentioned and see if others can be added?

Shall we set the dates for Oct 31st-Nov 9th?

*wears fancy dean hat* Sounds good to me! Might want to see if we can get a few more last mintue lectures but if not we should be fine, I hope. West would be good being that at this point he`s a walking history book but he`s said lectures aren`t his style before IRC. Mabye try and get some people who have varying POV to other lectures, to add some flare spice, and well draw more people in. Wider pool if you will.

Also what lectures and such do we have planned so far? I skimmed the post but it`s midnight, soo.

Those dates work fine for me. I see we already have three or four volunteers to give lectures in this thread. Mill, let's put this in our update, if it's not too late.

Allready got Mill to set it up for the updates. What type of area do you guys want for this? Really we can just place most of the lectures in the auditorim, with some non lecture threads in the main uni area.

• Like 1

If someone could send me a draft of the announcement, that would help out a lot. Our update looks like it might be a few more days (mainly because I'm still mostly unavailable until Sunday and no one's stepping up to fill in what I haven't done yet <_< ), so it would be best to get an announcement out before our update.