Sign in to follow this  
Isaris

Restoring the Commonwealth

Restoring the Commonwealth

My fellow Equilismers,

I have not stood for a fourth term as your Mayor under my own free will. I have been forced here by my sense of duty and responsibility to our great region. Equilism has struggled through this summer. Mayor UV, despite his best intentions, has unfortunately been absent for some time now. Sadly, real life often gets the best of the best of us and I hope that is merely the case here and that he is well. I have no intent of using this platform to sling mud at our exitting Mayor. There is more pressure in the office than it can appear from the outside. As someone with three terms under their belt, I know that all too well.

Equilism is in a dire situation. Do not be fooled by the influx of puppets from the N-Day 2 event, our regional population has fallen quite a bit. This drop is partially due to the lack of action by the Office of Tourism & Real Estate. If I am elected Mayor, I will be overseeing this office personally until I can find a replacement for Officer Otis, who has failed to perform his duties. I am open to retaining Otis in the Office's staff but I am no longer comfortable with him leading it in light of this failure. If we do not raise our regional population, Equilism will slowly decay and die. We cannot allow that.

Equilism has existed as a region for almost 14 years. We are a part of something that is truly historic. We need to honor that history and make our region great again. To that end, I believe that we need something to unify our region, a common purpose to define who we are as a people. As such, I propose that we make it our ultimate goal to restore the Commonwealth of Equilism Nations. That, however, is a lofty goal and one unrealistic to achieve in our current state. We must take baby steps and our first step should be to reach a regional population of at least 500 nations.

With a sizeable population in our region, we will be able to have a true debate on the changes we will need to make to bring the Third Commonwealth into fruition. These changes will not be able to happen overnight. They will take time and require patience as we work to redefine our legal system in light of our goal through incremental changes. We will also require the support of our forum administration as we will need to recreate or rename a variety of things once we have reached this stage of our plan. Make no mistake; this endeavour will not be easy, but it is because it will not be easy that we must do it.

This unifying goal will be the primary focus of my administration if I am elected Mayor. I will make every effort and stop at nothing to see it achieved. If I cannot achieve this goal by the end of this term, I will seek re-election again to continue this effort, and if not then, then again and again until it is achieved. This great region has fallen into disarray and obscurity. It has become a laughingstock of the gameplay sphere and bullied by foreign aggressors. We cannot idly accept this and mourn our pride. We must do everything in our power to build our strength and show the world we mean business.

This recruitment effort will also be at the center of my military policy. Since its creation, Section Sigma has struggled to gain new membership and that must change. All new Equilismers will be highly encouraged to join the force and fight for our region under my leadership. If I am elected Mayor, I plan to retain Director Chron as he possesses the necessary knowledge and skills to lead our forces into the field. Our lack of forces is not any fault of his but is the fault of the failure on part of the Office of Tourism & Real Estate during this past term. Our Director cannot train recruits that do not exist.

Strengthening our military is vital to our security, our foreign policy and for the goal of restoring the Commonwealth. The truth of the matter is that we do not currently even have the numbers to participate in any military operation. Our military strength is no better than it was under the E-Army, despite our increased effectiveness to lead, train and be aligned with the Executive. If you are reading this platform now, I urge you to sign up for Section Sigma immediately if you truly support my campaign. Our region needs you, our allies need you and the world needs you!

On the subject of our foreign policy, as Mayor, I would remain committed to our allies. However, I believe it is time for me to concede on my previous support of the protectorate relationship with Warzone Europe. Due to the state of our military, we cannot meet the obligation to defend the region. It is time to renegotiate our relationship with Warzone Europe. If I am elected Mayor, I will be authoring an amendment to our treaty that will allow Warzone Europe to retain its residency on our forum but no longer obligate Equilism to protect the region.

Here at home, I would like to focus our Office of Culture & Entertainment on providing fun activities for everyone to enjoy that can also serve to bring in new members to Equilism. I will continue the Equilism Cinema weekends as long as there is an audience coming in. I hope to retain Sam111 as the Officer and work closely with him to develop and run a deviation of Fight for Armello. This deviation, Fight for the Alpha Quadrant, will be themed around Star Trek, a much-beloved series here in Equilism. If this latter subject is of particular interest, I would be happy to provide more details in additional comments.

Together, we can make Equilism great again and restore the Commonwealth. Never doubt our ability to accomplish things when we work together as a region. Remember our amazing feats on Z-Day 2016 and both N-Days. Even though we are a small region, we can accomplish great things. Imagine what we can accomplish when there are even more Equilismers to know and befriend. I hope you will join me in fighting for the Third Commonwealth to become a reality. If you are not convinced just yet, I hope you will ask questions. I will do my best to answer them. Until then, that is all.

Thank you for your time,

Isaris

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leo Drakan said:

If you do win, will you continue to take the duties of Town Moderator upon you? Will you be able to remain unbiased?

Thanks for your question, Leo!

If I am elected Mayor, I will seek two Deputy Town Moderators to administer any votes related to foreign treaties or legislation to the restoration of the Commonwealth. These Deputies will ensure my bias won't interfere with the legislative process and there will be two in case one should be ever be unavailable.

Equilism's best days, IMO, were during the First Commonwealth and The Realm of Equilism. Both of which being periods of strong military activity and interregional relationships (each with a different focus, different allies). Our commonwealth periods and similar forms of governance have always suffered from decline and inactivity, always place the burdens of the region on the same people. How would a third commonwealth fair any better than the last? Or any better than the Township?  Why not return to The Realm, where leadership is consistent, opportunity remains for all, and governance is flexible to meet our needs and change along with us?

Signed,

The Supreme Ego, King and Emperor of the Known Universe :P

9 hours ago, Westwind said:

Equilism's best days, IMO, were during the First Commonwealth and The Realm of Equilism. Both of which being periods of strong military activity and interregional relationships (each with a different focus, different allies). Our commonwealth periods and similar forms of governance have always suffered from decline and inactivity, always place the burdens of the region on the same people. How would a third commonwealth fair any better than the last? Or any better than the Township?  Why not return to The Realm, where leadership is consistent, opportunity remains for all, and governance is flexible to meet our needs and change along with us?

Signed,

The Supreme Ego, King and Emperor of the Known Universe :P

I can't say for sure how a Third Commonwealth will fare. To me, the Commonwealth represents the height of Equilism as a democratic region. This is why I want restoring it to become a unifying, long-term goal for our region. I don't think that the Township government is not working. I think it does well for what we have now. However, I worry it won't be viable with a larger population and so I want to put into the public discourse the thought of restoring the Commonwealth as a system that would be viable at a larger scale.

I'd like to see as much of the Township system retained as possible, which is why I've suggested that any changes be done incrementally. I don't want to see the Charter repealed and replaced with something new. It's more that I would like to see it eventually amended to change minor details like the names of positions, and possibly to add in anything that may be relevant or remove anything that becomes irrelevant. This can't happen with the population we have, though. We are already in a state of low numbers and low activity, so something like that isn't going to work unless the recruitment focus is successful once again. If, however, we gain more members and there is more support for the restoration of the Realm, as you have suggested, I would be willing to support that instead.

I think the real point to consider, is that in the cases of the First Commonwealth and Realm, the region was focused on certain matters. Without focus, goals, purpose, the region is rudderless and drifting nowhere. The form of government is vastly less important that those.

In the early years, we had constitutional conventions on an average of 4 times a year. Now it takes years and significant inactivity before we act.

I've pounded on this point before, and it is still true. Gameplay is what Equilism was founded upon. It was our sole purpose.  It was what our government focused on. It was what our foreign policy was based upon. It was the ladder to participation and leadership opportunity. Everything we did, everything we promoted, every policy and law we made were to support our gameplay. We failed when we turned away from that. The region lost purpose, and never regained it. So each and every subsequent form of government has struggled to one degree or another. Until there is a purpose, a goal, a direction to focus upon, no government form will succeed as we'd like. I'm not saying Gameplay is the only and ultimate answer. I'm saying a focused purpose is. And our purpose can't be 'we've been around a long time and must preserve it for posterity and our fond memories'.

Over time, we've tried to reconsider our gameplay alignment as a way to find direction and purpose again. To create a goal. But consistently, for ten years since 2007, we've been unable to find consensus. Strong leadership can overcome this. But that leadership must be empowered in order to be able to lead. And that leadership must have clear vision, clear purpose. And must be consistent.  We must have those that can articulate and defend our goals and purposes. Present and express our ideals and visions in the marketplace of NS expression.  We must have that camaraderie, esprit de cour (loyalty, enthusiasm, pride, unity, devotion - to each other, to our region, to our purpose and goals) that defines us and brings us together to accomplish great things. And by it's very existence entices others to join us.

We've tried to support RP as a new focus several times. I didn't work. It hasn't fit our community fully enough. We've tried events, we've tried reforming the government repeatedly, we've tried different military arrangements and alignments. None of this will work long term until we focus on a clear purpose, goal, set of ideals. What those things may be are less important than actually having them. Regional Sovereignty, anti-griefing, was our founding ideal. It was something we could express, debate, support, defend, promote, focus upon, rally around, ally with others, and measure all our actions against. And when the need arose, we were able to redefine it for a new age of NS (post Influence).

That is the key to success in Equilism. Purpose. Goals. Focus. That door of opportunity still waits to be defined and unlocked.

On 9/2/2017 at 5:52 AM, Isaris said:

our regional population has fallen quite a bit

To add to that thought, I have 20 - 30 puppet nations in Equilism. That was worrisome when I saw our numbers dropping below 100. I'm sure others have some here too. So that apparent population number is way inflated from reality. Our WA numbers are probably a better barometer of activity.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:16 PM, Westwind said:

Gameplay is what Equilism was founded upon. It was our sole purpose.  It was what our government focused on. It was what our foreign policy was based upon. It was the ladder to participation and leadership opportunity. Everything we did, everything we promoted, every policy and law we made were to support our gameplay. We failed when we turned away from that. The region lost purpose, and never regained it. So each and every subsequent form of government has struggled to one degree or another. Until there is a purpose, a goal, a direction to focus upon, no government form will succeed as we'd like. I'm not saying Gameplay is the only and ultimate answer. I'm saying a focused purpose is. And our purpose can't be 'we've been around a long time and must preserve it for posterity and our fond memories'.

I know that I'm more of a lurker here now than anything else, but as the second oldest member of the community, I agree unreservedly with this.

I was here when we had dozens of strong, vocal and active members on the forum. I've been here less and less as things have gone quiet, but having said that the problem is precisely what West has outlined.

Equilism has no purpose and it has no role. We could ask the question in any number of ways but there is no satisfactory response to "what does Equilism do?". Once we were defender and then we were quasi-imperialist, but when those rules were clear, activity followed with little or no effort. Now, with no applicable identity recruiting is largely impossible. You can't move to a place which you've forgotten or never heard about.

If a purpose can be found, the solution to virtually all of your other problems will be in bed with it.

• Like 1

*nods*

Once you have that purpose, then you can build on it with all the trappings and activity of what government form suits that purpose and the community best. A matching foreign policy, or a targeted RP, or whatever.

That's the fun part. Building it to suit that purpose. Setting goals, organizing, planning, training, preparing, setting up.....

The same thing generally happens with successive governments. Debating, planning, organizing, legislating fresh laws......and then what? You still need that basic purpose/goal/ideal to pursue to keep you moving forward, or it won't last.  You can always have another constitutional convention and restir that bit of activity, but you must have the underlying foundation to succeed long term.

A purpose could be as simple as spreading the good news of Breakfast across NS. 10KI has Tacos, but we serve Breakfast for all! The Armies of Equilism on the March in The First Great Breakfast War. The Equilism Ministry of Charity delivering Breakfast Care Packages to small needy regions all across NS. The Equilism Foreign Affairs Ministry issuing a statement of unity with The West Pacific, by banning marsupials from all breakfast buffets. That announcement followed by the presentation of the new Equilism Embassy and Breakfast Program. Equilism will no longer turn away Embassy requests of small regions as long as they are open to an exchange of Breakfast on their RMB, courtesy of Equilism's Breakfast Ministry. :P  

Or.....

I was browsing through NS one day,

In the very merry month of .....September?

And suddenly seemed to realize that something seems to be missing from NS.  Gatesville. Gatesville is missing. Okay, yeah, there are a couple inactive Gatesville remanent regions, but the original force and purpose is gone. I see no major region wielding the power of an army raised against the WA. Gatesville was able to rally people to their great cause, and in the process build one of the largest, most effective and enduring army in all NS. Without them, the NPO may not have survived so long. Without them, the Crimson Order would never have happened. They were great defenders of the sovereignty of their allies and of GCRs. And they never hesitated to attack their enemies directly. All for the simple purpose of gathering large numbers of WA's in order to vote against all resolutions.  They were once the largest UCR for years.

The moral of the story is:  I smell an opportunity for someone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Westwind said:

*nods*

Once you have that purpose, then you can build on it with all the trappings and activity of what government form suits that purpose and the community best. A matching foreign policy, or a targeted RP, or whatever.

That's the fun part. Building it to suit that purpose. Setting goals, organizing, planning, training, preparing, setting up.....

The same thing generally happens with successive governments. Debating, planning, organizing, legislating fresh laws......and then what? You still need that basic purpose/goal/ideal to pursue to keep you moving forward, or it won't last.  You can always have another constitutional convention and restir that bit of activity, but you must have the underlying foundation to succeed long term.

A purpose could be as simple as spreading the good news of Breakfast across NS. 10KI has Tacos, but we serve Breakfast for all! The Armies of Equilism on the March in The First Great Breakfast War. The Equilism Ministry of Charity delivering Breakfast Care Packages to small needy regions all across NS. The Equilism Foreign Affairs Ministry issuing a statement of unity with The West Pacific, by banning marsupials from all breakfast buffets. That announcement followed by the presentation of the new Equilism Embassy and Breakfast Program. Equilism will no longer turn away Embassy requests of small regions as long as they are open to an exchange of Breakfast on their RMB, courtesy of Equilism's Breakfast Ministry. :P  

I would be proud to use the call of the First Great Breakfast War as a rallying cry to get our region back into military gameplay.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 11:23 PM, Westwind said:

Or.....

I was browsing through NS one day,

In the very merry month of .....September?

And suddenly seemed to realize that something seems to be missing from NS.  Gatesville. Gatesville is missing. Okay, yeah, there are a couple inactive Gatesville remanent regions, but the original force and purpose is gone. I see no major region wielding the power of an army raised against the WA. Gatesville was able to rally people to their great cause, and in the process build one of the largest, most effective and enduring army in all NS. Without them, the NPO may not have survived so long. Without them, the Crimson Order would never have happened. They were great defenders of the sovereignty of their allies and of GCRs. And they never hesitated to attack their enemies directly. All for the simple purpose of gathering large numbers of WA's in order to vote against all resolutions.  They were once the largest UCR for years.

The moral of the story is:  I smell an opportunity for someone.

Now that sounds like an opportunity to pick up on! I'd love to see us return to Gameplay as an active and powerful force, we could certainly spice things up a bit!

re: WA numbers - those are quite low, and most of them aren't particularly active. 

• Like 1

Have we sent out a regionwide tg lately, reminding nations of the benefits of joining the WA and endorsing the delegate?

Sign in to follow this