Sign in to follow this  
Isaris

State of the Township Address (10/19/2019)

9ogEIPfCYiRKo8_Z441Kh6UOat1a0YGXzxKDkJmd
State of the Township Address
October 19, 2019

My fellow Equilismers,

Once again I come before you as your elected Mayor to give a State of the Township address.  An address of this kind, unfortunately, has not been given for over two years now.  While I will no doubt not say much that is news to anyone, as the condition of our region is clear for most to see, I still feel that it is my duty to deliver you this speech.  In it, I hope not to shame anyone, nor express that all is lost, but rather to shine the light on what we as Equilismers can do to make our region better and to present to you some of what I envision for the future of Equilism.

I ran for the office of Mayor on no platform and with no competition, and yet I won.  I attribute this victory to the faith that has been placed in me in the past to guide our region forward and I will endeavour, always, to live up to that faith.  However, this is a very unfortunate state for our township to be in.  There simply are not enough people in the region and the people who are in the region have not been participating enough, including myself.  Despite the lack of success in the past, we must restart our recruitment efforts.

On the foreign front, the Township has suffered as well.  The Coalition Against the Ideology of Nazism disbanded nearly two years ago, and, one year ago, Europeia repealed its treaty with us due to its perception of Equilism as a "dead" region.  While CAIN's disbandment was unavoidable due to the scandal surrounding Brunhilde, the loss of Europeia as an ally is stark.  Though our two regions do not see eye-to-eye on every issue, Europeia represented a powerful friend and benefactor on the global political stage.

Additionally, the effort I made to create a new fighting force for Equilism, Section Sigma, has not borne fruit.  Without the needed military expertise at our disposal, no amount of educational material here in Equilism can properly train those who would be our soldiers.  Furthermore, we do not have enough soldiers enlisted to make any outside assistance worthwhile to another party.  It seems, at least for now, that military gameplay will not be in Equilism's foreseeable future.  I also believe we should discuss, as a region, what kind of military we would want, if any.

However, in events, Equilism has continued to perform grandly.  In this last N-Day event in September, The E Team faction placed 7th; this was the first time we ended the event in the Top 10.  I have confidence that we will take on this coming Z-Day with the same vigor.  I have spoken with our Zombie Apocalypse Manager, Naivetry, and she has indicated her intent to join us again this year.  I would like to take this time to briefly express my gratitude to her for her service throughout all of these years and hope that she will be able to join us as planned.

In conclusion, Equilismers, our region needs you to come together and fight for it.  Fight for it the same way you fight on N-Day.  Fight for it the same way you fight on Z-Day.  I know in my heart and soul that you have the needed passion to make Equilism be exceptional.  If you dare to channel it into the Township's day-to-day, it would transform our region dramatically.  Instead of being in a state of decline, with your help, your energy, Equilism could thrive.  Don't allow this historic region to wither away with not even a whimper.

plwWZB6MaUQ8pC793itwM6H6F0_7bVL7s6GWE8uM Office of the Mayor, Isaris

• Like 1

*sips coffee*

IMO, the problem comes down to the same thing it always does......Equilism needs Purpose.

It's difficult to rally people to take action, when there is no defined purpose or goal to work towards.

Equilism was born and Founded with a Purpose. That purpose was to be a Defender region, to fight against Griefing Invaders across NS with our allies. There was a dicotomy of Good vs. Evil/Us vs Them in our purpose. Our way forward was clear.

Our purpose drove us to grow, to recruit, to train new soldiers and officials. To expand our alliances and participation interregionally to support and achieve our goals and purpose. Our government's purpose was to maintain, grow, and strengthen our military to defeat our enemies.

We lost that purpose with the changes in game rules that began in '05 and culminated in Influence in '06.

Thus we took a chance, and carried out The Schism to change our direction and purpose in order to avoid the fate of our allies....they all became dead regions. In doing this, we revitalized activity not only in Equilism, but elsewhere in NS as well.

We did the same again when we lead The Crimson Order events in '08 to fight inactivity across the game. Again, we were successful in our purpose. Our purpose was not to rule, it was to restore activity to the game. 'The Noble Cause' of Activity was our Purpose.

These revitalizing events require purpose, leadership, and resolve to begin. They require tenacity and support to follow-thorugh. They require work. Our efforts so long ago have been inspiration for others in other regions. None of which has come anywhere near our successes.

But we've had these discussions on Purpose time and time again. For a decade they've lead nowhere, or to insufficient compromises without a mandate that provide comfort rather than results. 

And I've always maintained that a region will fail without an active Founder. 

*sips coffee*

So here we are, soon to be 16 years down this road, siting in an inactive region with an inactive founder, with disinterested citizens, talking about doing something about the current state of the region.

*chuckles*

Yes, recruitment is necessary to have any chance of a future here. That thankless job that no one wants to do. An ugly job that I'm not going to do. I'm long over and done with that. 

In behind-the-scenes discussions over the years, we've more than once discussed moving our community to a GCR. Collectively move to a Feeder region to preserve our community without the cost of endless thankless recruitment.  We looked to The Pacific, The West Pacific, and The Rejected Realms. But others moved on to activity in The North Pacific, Balder, and Osiris.

Our leaders went elsewhere when they could no longer find what they wanted in Equilism. That is still the case today. Equilism long ago ceased to support our leaders that seek out great purpose, so they go elsewhere, and return only for those in-game events: Z-day/N-day.

*leans back in chair*

Today Equilism has Purpose for 36 hours a year when we become Z-day leaders, then go back to our inactivity for another year. 

BTW, I do not plan on bringing my large nations in to help Equilism this Z-day.  

*sips coffee*

I decided to assist Equilism by acting as Election Commissioner to reboot the Election Cycle the past few months.  But that is all I intended, the rest is up to all of you.  I was going to leave NS entirely in January. I'm not sure why I'm still around. Although one player recently asked me to stay around until his health improves. I made no promises.

Unless some GCR wants to hire me to serve as a Guardian or Delegate, I've no interest in official capacities anywhere.

I've done my part and the future is yours.

Though without Purpose, Leadership, Hard Work, and Recruitment, I don't see an active future for Equilism beyond it's annual 36 hours of Zombie Purpose. Being a 'historic' region is not enough.

But ya'll can always prove me wrong.

*finishes coffee*