Sign in to follow this  
Westwind

Uniform Role Playing Currency

Equilism, in RP, uses the Equiliant, as our currency. This of course does not preclude nations from using both the regional currency and their own national currency together. The law reguarding the Equiliant may be viewed here:

http://www.equilism.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6

Edited by Westwind

well probably because we are then needed to calculate the difference in worth of each currency towards the others.... Do you really wanna do that?

Why can't we use just national currency instead of equiliants in RPing? Is there any reason?

Some nations maintain both currencies - the regional currency, Equiliant, and their own national currencies. It's been suggested previously, that rather than have actual paper and coin currency, Equiliants can be an electronic funds transfer form of payment, between nations. Otherwise, each nation internally can retain it's national currency for paper/coin transactions.

How are we to go about this?

Do we setup a table in which prices are compared?

For Example:

Bread costs 25 Biliskner in Restored Othalla

and 14 units in country B

???????????

In the CoE bar, 1 :equiliant: was about the equivalent of 1 RL euro.

The Auto Dealership used a very different scale (somewhere around 1 :equiliant: ~ 100 EUR ~ 130 USD) but that was because we were "buying" things with post count income...

I've heard rumors that there used to be a forum bank. Would it be possible to set up some kind of electronic exchange again? Do we want to actually exchange RP currency, or just RP exchanging RP currency? :P

we had a bank and a shop and stuff, and i was the richest of all, i still am, but that's not the point

but i think it wasn't compatible anymore with forum upgrades.

Wouldn't it be usefull to determine how much 1 Equillant is worth in a RL cash-sort, such as the US Dollar or Euro?

By either saying that 1 Equillant = 1 US Dollar or that 1 Equillant is 1 Euro. :)

One of those two would be allright. :)

Edited by Tycholand

Problem then is when I say a shirt costs 20 :equiliant: and you say it costs 15 :equiliant: . ;)

Umm. Hmm. We could pick the one that the majority of people here use.

Also, we don't have to set it to a 1/1 ratio. Could be an :equiliant: is one doller (or euro, whatever), or it could be five, or ten, or two, or half, or anything.

Problem then is when I say a shirt costs 20 :equiliant: and you say it costs 15 :equiliant: . ;)

Perhaps, but this is where (in Main Street anyway) threadstarter rights come into the picture. Threadstarter decides how much something costs in their store. And if it happens in an instance where there is no threadstarter situation or something, let the one who is selling decide how much something costs. Buyer can then decide if he or she still wants it.

Umm. Hmm. We could pick the one that the majority of people here use.

So, since our active population is roughly American/Canadian/Dutch/Remainder which one do you propose?

Also, we don't have to set it to a 1/1 ratio. Could be an :equiliant: is one doller (or euro, whatever), or it could be five, or ten, or two, or half, or anything.

Oh sure :) I just figured it was easier with a 1:1 ratio.

:cheshire:

Threadstarter decides how much something costs in their store.

Exactly. Yes, this is RP, but the threadstarter might want to go for a realistic price (compared to RL).

Edited by Tycholand

Realistic price compared to RL, but there are issues of what is realistic. ;)

What if we open two competing stores, and you base your prices on euros and I base mine on dollars? Yours will cost fewer equiliants since the euro is stronger than the dollar, and I'll lose business. the more expensive things get, the larger the discrepancy is.

Pick one. Euro or dollar. I don't care. And pick a number exchange. I'm perfectly happy to convert from dollars to euros to equiliants, if you wanna use euros. Heck, why not have a vote?

Edited by Astarial

Pick one. Euro or dollar.

Yes. I think it should be the US Dollar. Shall we put this before the College once it´s set-up? <_<

Realistic price compared to RL, but there are issues of what is realistic. ;)

What if we open two competing stores, and you base your prices on euros and I base mine on dollars? Yours will cost fewer equiliants since the euro is stronger than the dollar, and I'll lose business. the more expensive things get, the larger the discrepancy is.

Pick one. Euro or dollar. I don't care. And pick a number exchange. I'm perfectly happy to convert from dollars to euros to equiliants, if you wanna use euros. Heck, why not have a vote?

:whut:

I would base my prices on what I make up... It doesn't have to be that complicated.

:cheshire:

I agree with Tse...

In my opinion, RL should not dictate what happens here in Equilism.

The best course of action would be to have one member (I'd be willing) to determine the average cost of basic categories. For example...

1 apple=.5 :equiliant: , 1 movie rental=2 :equiliant: , pack of smokes 5 :equiliant: , cheap shirt 15 :equiliant: , computer 500 :equiliant: , car 10,000 :equiliant: , house 150,000 :equiliant: , etc.

I could have a comprehensive list for you, if the majority of you like this idea...