Tarlisea

Kemaris Station

<XO Lieutenant Commander Jethro Schofield>

:: As Jethro left the brief, the CMO stepped out from behind the doorway. ::

XO: Do you have a moment? I wanted to speak to you about the duty roster.

:: Although Jethro wasn't entirely sure what Ashe was driving at, he was free from duty for a while and was only too happy to better acquaint himself with the ship's Doctor, who, on second thoughts, had looked a little troubled earlier in the meeting. ::

CMO: Sir, my time is yours. If this is a more formal matter, would you care to come back inside so that we can sit down?

:: Jethro made a small gesture back into 101D, waiting for the senior officer (by rank) to respond. ::

=/\= XO Lieutenant Commander Jethro Schofield =/\=

<Dr. Hozet Ashe>

:: Ashe watches some of the interaction between Ensigns Hord and Treiga. He knows neither of them well, but assumes that two Klingons ought to be better than one. It is noticeable almost immediately that Treiga does not seem to share the "large and loud" persona of many Klingons.

Self: Interesting.

:: Shortly thereafter, Lieutenant Frazer emerges. Ashe briefly considers engaging in friendly banter as a follow up to the moment of thanks he offered in the conference room. The look in her eye immediately dissuades him.

Self: If that young woman had knives for eyes, we'd have...

:: The XO emerges and Hozet asks for a moment of his time. The young Lieutenant Commander is polite to a fault.

XO: Thank you, Jethro.

:: Ashe almost immediately regrets his words, he called Schofield by his first name when Ashe was Captain and not merely another department head for whom the XO was now responsible.

XO: Sorry, Commander - I'm forgetting myself - quite literally.

:: After what seems an awkward moment to the doctor the two sit.

XO: I wanted to speak to you about enhancing my duties - like a lot of newly joined Trills, I'm finding myself with the inordinate urge to expand my horizons. Primarily, and I understand that you'll need to confer with the Captain, I'd like to start taking shifts on bridge watch.

Given how quickly this all has happened, you probably haven't read my file, but I've been rated for bridge watch for about twenty years, so qualification isn't an issue. I'm not trying to compare résumés here, but I'm guessing I've logged more hours with the watch than anyone on Equilism. Tied with my rank and years or service, I thought...

:: Ashe thought he might be laying it on a bit thick...

XO: Sorry, I'm rambling. I was just thinking that if the duty roster allowed it, I might be a good fit for some of the crew with less hours on the equipment - in terms of getting them rated, I mean. No one is scared of the ship's surgeon, I'm an experienced teacher and it would save you or the Captain from pulling doubles with the rookies.

What do you think?

=/\= USS Equilism CMO Commander Hozet Ashe =/\=

<CSO Ens. Treiga>

CTO: I can understand personal pain. However, it is wrong to condemn an entire race for the actions of a few. Led the way to the holodeck.

:: Treiga then followed Tulak to the holodeck, after he stopped by his quarters and picked up his bat'leth. Once the entered the chamber, their duel started. ::

=/\= CSO Ens. Treiga =/\=

Edited by Darth Treiga

XO: Thank you, Jethro ... Sorry, Commander - I'm forgetting myself - quite literally.

I wanted to speak to you about enhancing my duties - like a lot of newly joined Trills, I'm finding myself with the inordinate urge to expand my horizons. Primarily, and I understand that you'll need to confer with the Captain, I'd like to start taking shifts on bridge watch.

Given how quickly this all has happened, you probably haven't read my file, but I've been rated for bridge watch for about twenty years, so qualification isn't an issue. I'm not trying to compare résumés here, but I'm guessing I've logged more hours with the watch than anyone on Equilism. Tied with my rank and years or service, I thought...

Sorry, I'm rambling. I was just thinking that if the duty roster allowed it, I might be a good fit for some of the crew with less hours on the equipment - in terms of getting them rated, I mean. No one is scared of the ship's surgeon, I'm an experienced teacher and it would save you or the Captain from pulling doubles with the rookies.

What do you think?

:: Jethro mulled over Ashe's words for a moment, permitting himself a small smile as an officer with vastly more experience than he - as Lodo and as Hozet - stumbled a little in presenting his idea. Jethro did see some of Lodo, a man he had greatly respected, in Hozet. Using Schofield's first name seemed to be a small part of that consciousness lingering on. ::

CMO: There's certainly capacity to fit an extra senior bridge officer in the roster. And even without reading your service record, I don't think anyone would argue that you have any lack of experience, medically or on the bridge. I do have two minor concerns, though.

Firstly, taking bridge officer duties would diminish your time in Medical, with no senior MO to take over in your stead. I don't believe that will be a serious issue - my confidence in the Medical team have just been redoubled - but having a plan for sustaining our medical capability would make a good footnote to anything seen by the Captain.

Secondly, the senior staff roster is a little unbalanced at the moment - particularly with the fresh new ensigns in Tactical and Science, and what I can see as being a future conflict with Lieutenant Frazer. That is a situation I will be monitoring closely as XO. In lieu of a Counsellor, however, might I suggest we build a more formal mentoring system, especially one that utilises your experience both on- and off-bridge? With those addendum, I see no reason the Captain wouldn't approve of your assistance on the bridge.

As for calling me Jethro, I have no problems with that in less formal situations. What would you prefer I call you - given the disparity in rank and position?

<CSO Ens. Treiga>

:: Treiga was right about being out of practice, Tulak easily won the first four sparring matches. As for the fifth one, he is just glad he had his Mek'leth in it's customary place on his hip-holster. He at least he won one match...

After a visit to Sickbay to mend his broken arm, nose, leg, and ribs, he was hungry. Hopefully the replicator in his quarters could make a good Brooklyn-style pizza. His wife introduced the delicacy to him on their second date. He loved that cheese and bread concoction. ::

<CEO Lt. Chloe Frazer>

:: Chloe grins inwardly as she walks away from the Klingons. The look in their eyes when she spoke to them was delicious. As she passed him further down the corridor, Dr Asche looked like he was going to approach her, but had thought better of it. That was fine with Chloe. She liked Hozet, and she'd liked Lodo too, but the Lieutenant was in no mood for conversation. She wanted to shoot endangered animals, to vaporise all the beautiful primordial rainforests she'd never stand in, to smash gravestones. She wanted to breathe warp plasma and drink acid. The feeling was supremely liberating.

Stepping into a free holodeck, all Chloe's thoughts of R&R had dissolved. She runs the program Frazer-3 on a hard difficulty setting and faces off with a Klingon warrior, his D'k tahg against her combat knife. In a haze of focused ferocity, the bout ends with the Klingon dead at her feet, a feat she had never before accomplished on such a high setting.

Afterwards, Frazer retires to her assigned quarters, showers and replicates a large bottle of scotch, hoping nobody would decide to call on her that evening. The replicated whisky tasted poor. Thankfully, that was utterly irrelevant to it's purpose. ::

=/\= CEO Lt. Chloe Frazer=/\=

<CSO Ens. Treiga>

:: Treiga went through the computer's memory-banks and found what he was looking for. The original theatrical release versions of the Star Wars Saga! Time to watch it on his PADD and eat a Brooklyn-style pizza. ::

<CTO Ensign Tulak Hord>

::Tulak went to his quarters to after he had successfully defeated the new guy in duels four straight times before being handed a loss. Tulak was tired from the previous mission and the duels with what appeared to be a friend more and more they got to know each other. He got himself something to eat and drink and took advantage of what time he had left before the next mission to get some rest.::

::Tulak laid in bed with his eyes open in case someone decided to knock on his door. He wanted to rest, but stay somewhat awake.::

=/\= CTO Ensign Tulak Hord =/\=

<Dr. Hozet Ashe>

:: Ashe listened as the XO went through the requirements and concerns surrounding the request to let Ashe serve as a bridge watch officer. Schofield was thorough and had what Captains had formerly referred to as "officer thinking". That is, he understood the issues from several different perspectives and the implications for the operation of the ship.

XO: Firstly, using your first name was a slip - you understand why. I win't let it happen again unless we are in more informal surroundings. Secondly, I like the idea of doing not only bridge work but also a mentoring role. Like most CMOs, I am qualified to act a ship's counsellor in the absence of a fully-trained officer for that task so I guess I could do some of that as well. Lastly, while I don't know any spare doctor's laying around I do know an excellent triage medic who could be used to help fill out the emergency response capacity of Sickbay for the periods when I might be on the bridge.

I speaking of Tom Nimbus - he was Lodo's aide before...well, before. I know that he stayed on the station when Lodo left for Earth; I'm sure he'd be willing. We go back a long way.

<USS Equilism CMO Commander Hozet Ashe>

<CMO> XO: Firstly, using your first name was a slip - you understand why. I won't let it happen again unless we are in more informal surroundings. Secondly, I like the idea of doing not only bridge work but also a mentoring role. Like most CMOs, I am qualified to act a ship's counsellor in the absence of a fully-trained officer for that task so I guess I could do some of that as well. Lastly, while I don't know any spare doctor's laying around I do know an excellent triage medic who could be used to help fill out the emergency response capacity of Sickbay for the periods when I might be on the bridge.

I speak of Tom Nimbus - he was Lodo's aide before...well, before. I know that he stayed on the station when Lodo left for Earth; I'm sure he'd be willing. We go back a long way.

:: Jethro was pleased by this response; certainly the capacities of Chief Nimbus would be greatly appreciated, though Jethro had not seen him since Lodo had left the ship, even before Schofield had reposted to the Equilism. Schofield did not know Nimbus had experience as a medic, though given his time in the fleet, it should hardly have been surprising. Jethro was confident in the selection of Nimbus, knowing that Ashe (whether as Hozet or Lodo) had confidence in his suggestion. ::

CMO: Excellent. I will prepare a brief for the Captain on your behalf, regarding bridge duties - and one for Chief Nimbus, if you would word him up first. Additionally, I'll inform the current counselling assistants to work with you, around your primary duties, in order to ensure our counselling services are maintained.

The specific case of Ensigns Tulak and Triega, and Lieutenant Frazer, bears further investigation. Having heard the Engineer's background, I feel that there may be some enmity between her and our Klingon staff in particular. As a counsellor, having worked with Frazer on the last mission, and by virtue of your separation from each of them in primary duties, I reckon that you will be able to provide a strong mentoring figure to our junior officers - particularly the Chief Engineer. Should the situation demand, a move to formal counselling can always be made. I hope, however, that any potential conflagration is doused soon and that the senior staff can maintain a positive rapport going forward.

Have you any further questions, queries or suggestions, Doctor?

Edited by Flexion

<Dr. Hozet Ashe>

<XO> CMO: Have you any further questions, queries or suggestions, Doctor?

XO: No, Commander – thank you for your help. I think I’ll go and look up Chief Nimbus first and then drop in on Lieutenant Frazer. I’ll let you know ahead of time, I’ll likely be taking a fairly direct approach with her. I can’t imagine that kid gloves will do anything other than make her angry.

:: At the conclusion of their conversation, Ashe and the XO shook hands and parted. Stopping by his temporary quarters, the doctor was pleased to see that the rest of his baggage had caught up with him. In addition, there were several boxes that had belonged to Lodo. Upon inspection, they appeared to be the collection of antique weapons he had acquired over years of being ready to fight almost anything for almost any reason.

Self: <looking at the weapons> Hello, old friends.

:: The statement was of course ridiculous but no more than most of Hozet’s existence at this point. He had never laid eyes on these crates before, but the blades and more modern weapons were familiar to his touch despite never having been in his hands until this moment.

:: He selected a slug-thrower; a hand gun that had been Lodo’s favorite. It was a Trill semi-automatic pistol dating back almost six hundred years; virtually identical to the same weapons from a dozen worlds. It was made of a steel alloy polished black and fired rounds about as big a Hozet’s thumb. All of Lodo’s old weapons worked and this beast was ready to fire with three clips and an entire box of the obnoxiously large ammunition stored in the same case as the well oiled leather holster and cleaning tools. The thing was locked of course, but Hozet knew the combinations.

:: Hozet quickly put the gun away, realizing that he had wanted to find a holodeck and go fire the thing. It was an odd sensation for a doctor to want to run off and blast holes into holographic targets. Such was life with the meta-consciousness of Lodo Ashe. Hozet had never understood and certainly never experienced it before but he now knew the peculiar beauty of weapons. He would fire this gun – it seemed perfectly natural to him now. The sleek lines and the heavy balance of the ancient gun simply required him to bring it booming to life. Hozet had never been a pacifist but had considered collecting lethal weapons not only an obnoxious pass-time but in genuinely bad taste. Now he got it - he would fire this gun, and if he had the time, he would fire them all.

:: But not now.

:: Ashe resealed the case and left his quarters. He checked the panel in the hall for the location of Chief Nimbus.

=/\= USS Equilism CMO Commander Hozet Ashe =/\=

<CMO> XO: No, Commander – thank you for your help. I think I’ll go and look up Chief Nimbus first and then drop in on Lieutenant Frazer. I’ll let you know ahead of time, I’ll likely be taking a fairly direct approach with her. I can’t imagine that kid gloves will do anything other than make her angry.

:: Their meeting over, Schofield and Ashe shook hands and went their separate ways. Jethro headed back to his temporary quarters, where he began work diligently on his reports to the CO. Completing their initial draft, Jethro decided to unwind - partially undoing his run from before the staff meeting - by going for a quiet drink down at the station's most prominent bar, the Delta Dump. Adopting a comfortable seat, Jethro mused to himself quietly for a few hours as the day dragged on, people coming and going from the bar around him. Not a heavy drinker, Jethro decided to have a couple of tumblers of quality single-malt as he thought about the past few days, and the coming mission as the Equilism's XO.

As he returned to his room, relaxed but not drunk, Jethro quickly looked over his draft reports and the crew records he had access to. He was somewhat surprised to see that the Captain had been promoted such that his rank reflected his position, not 8 months since his last promotion on posting as CO of the Equilism. Jethro was not sure how this would affect the relationship between the himself and the Captain; he felt that this might cause a rift between the two, who had been Lieutenants together just a few years ago. Nivo, who had since moved up from Chief Operations to Commanding Officer, and Jethro, who had been absent since his first posting as Executive Officer, had never had such a disparity in rank. Not that Jethro disliked Elar Nivo - quite the contrary, Jethro rather respected the drive of the Trill officer - but he was mainly concerned with the increasingly dynamic balance of the staffing situation into which he had walked.

Deciding that he had worked and worried enough for one day, Jethro took heed of his diminishing awareness and made to sleep in the comfortable atmosphere of his temporary lodging. ::

Edited by Flexion

<CO Capt. Elar Nivo>

::Over the past few days Nivo had several meetings with Vice Admiral Rimo and several other staff members on what happened to the Equilism and what was going on in Starfleet. Now he had some time to relax and sat at a holographically simulated beach at sunset when his combadge chirped::

<SFI> *CO*: O'Donnell to Nivo, just to inform you the investigation on the USS Equilism has been finished. Your ship is cleared for access. O'Donnell out.

::Nivo sighed, so much for leave::

Computer: Computer, send a message to all USS Equilism crew the ship is back to business.

<Computer> CO: Acknowledged.

=/\= CO Capt. Elar Nivo =/\=

=/\=

ACTION: All crew of the USS Equilism have returned to the ship. The senior staff is assembled in the Equilism's Observation Lounge for a briefing.

The ship's upgrades have been researched and everything has been restored to the state it should be.

Edited by Tarlisea

<CDT Cdt. Leland Tav>

<SOPS>CDT: CDT: Cadet, congratulations, you have been promoted to Cadet 1st Class. Please report to Vice Admiral Alis Rimo for assignment. Dismissed.

SOPS: Aye sir, thank you sir.

::Leland duly salutes then heads off to find the Vice Admiral. Along the way he figuratively and almost literally runs into a few comrades who haven't been promoted yet. As much as he would like to bathe in the accolades from his peers his priority is to his first assignment

Arriving outside of the Vice Admirals office Tav comes dangerously close to foregoing standard regulations and simply enter. However despite himself Tav catches his near-mistake in time and hits the chime instead, coming to the traditional parade rest next to the door rather in front of it::

=/\= CDT Cdt. Leland Tav=/\=

---

<SCO VADM Alis Rimo>

::hears the door chime::

CDT: Enter!

::Notices an Ensign enter his office with a PADD. Rimo accepts the PADD and reads through it. Another Starfleet Academy graduee from Commander Miller. A small smile appears on his face.::

CDT: Welcome to Kemaris Station. I'm Vice Admiral Rimo of Sector Command Delta. You've done a good job during your training. I'm pleased to promote you to the rank of Ensign with all privileges to that rank.

::Removes the cadet insignia from the collar of Tav and replaces it with one full pip::

FCO: Congratulations Ensign.

::Extends his hand::

CTO: You are to report to the USS Equilism's Commanding Officer, Captain Nivo, with this PADD containing your orders. I've assigned you to the USS Equilism as Flight Control Officer. Ensign, you're out of uniform. Get redressed and go to the USS Salvador. She's in spacedock getting ready for departure, so you'd better hurry. Dismissed.

=/\= SCO VADM Alis Rimo =/\=

<CDT Cdt. Rantin Jev>

<SOPS> CDT: Cadet, congratulations, you have been promoted to Cadet 1st Class. Please report to Vice Admiral Alis Rimo for assignment. Dismissed.

SOPS: Aye, sir. Thank you very much, sir.

::Rantin salutes his superior, and then heads directly to the Vice Admiral's office. He's so excited, he barely has time to notice all his friends who have yet to make rank. He doesn't want them to stop him and bog him down with embarrassing praises and needless jealousy. He's not that into crowds, anyway. But he still has a genuine smile as he approaches the Vice Admiral's door. Nothing is going to dim his mood today, absolutely nothing! His PADD is gripped tightly in his left hand, while he rings the chime with his right. He stands anxiously in front of the door, waiting for an answer. He lets his mind wander, thinking about what his first mission might entail. What ship will he be on? Who will his Commanding Officer be? He lets his hands rest behind his back.::

=^= CDT Cdt. Rantin Jev =^=

<SCO VADM Alis Rimo>

CDT: Enter.

::Rimo notices another cadet enter his office. He just received the notification from Commander Miller a new fresh cadet finished the training::

CDT: Cadet, I've heard you have completed the training from Commander Miller. Well done. I'm pleased to promote you to the rank of Ensign with all privileges which come with that rank.

::Stands up, removes the cadet pips and replaces them with one full pip for the rank of Ensign::

Ens: Congratulations! Ensign, you're out of uniform.

::Smiles::

Ens: Take this PADD to Captain Nivo of the USS Equilism. I've assigned you as Counselor on his ship.

::Hands over the PADD::

CNS: Get redressed. You're dismissed.

===== TIME WARP =====

<SCO VADM Alis Rimo>

::Rimo sat at his desk at his office of Starbase 447; the Equilism was still docked at the spacedock. It was undergoing a major overhaul and upgrades, and most of the crew was reassigned to other ships and duties. Rimo was worried about the Equilism having a skeleton crew and a command staff too small to operate the ship. It only had a commanding officer, chief tactical officer, chief science officer and a chief engineering officer. For crying out loud, the Equilism is the flagship and this is its crew?

::Rimo stood up and walked out of his office towards the nearest turbolift.

Computer: Deck 333, Shipyard Lounge.

::The turbolift started humming. It was quite a distance down from OPS. Rimo was pondering on the Equilism. Ever since the ship was docked at the starbase crewmembers requested transfers. Was it the extended time the overhaul would take? Were people more interested in exploring, even though it wasn't on the flagship?

::The turbolift halted eventually and the doors opened to the Shipyard Lounge. Rimo stepped out and walked over to the window. There she was: the USS Equilism, the pride of Starfleet in the Delta Quadrant. The chief bartender, Albert, walked over to Rimo.

<NPC CB Albert> SCO: Alis, is something bothering you?

::Albert was a personal friend of Rimo. Ever since Starfleet was in the Delta Quadrant Albert was here too. Every now and then Rimo would come over to the Shipyard Lounge where he could look at the ships. And every time Albert was here to hear him, to support him or just be there for a simple, but well-meant advise.

Albert: Yes, it's her... ::Rimo nods towards the Equilism::

<NPC CB Albert> SCO: She's a fine ship, Alis.

Albert: She certainly is. But she's lacking a good crew and senior staff. It's our lead ship and she's been docked here for what? Eight months? And she will be ready within a month now. But, without a good crew she's bound to stay here.

<NPC CB Albert> SCO: I know what you mean. I've heard several people talking about it as well. It seems being at spacedock for such a long time made her lose her shine.

Albert: I know. It's depressing. She will shine again after the overhaul. A state of the art computer core, new shielding technology, an upgraded LCARS. Everything will be new. But we need a crew. Any ideas, my dear Albert?

<NPC CB Albert> SCO: Alis, there are over 50,000 people here at Kemaris, do you select them yourself for drafting or would you like them to draft themselves? Have you made it public you're looking for staff? What's holding you back?

::Sighs...

Albert: We only want the best for the Equilism.

<NPC CB Albert> SCO: And the best is to have the Equilism at spacedock without a crew? They are Starfleet personnel, top of the bill and eager to explore. Leaving her in spacedock isn't bringing back that shine you want.

Albert: You're right. Now she's collecting dust. I'll make a public announcement. Thanks my friend.

• Like 1

<SCO VADM Alis Rimo>

::Whilst sitting at the Shipyard Lounge Rimo typed something on a PADD. This would be a message to all Starfleet personnel on the Starbase. The Equilism was in dire need of a new senior staff. And the message would go to Captain Ashe as well as it would become his new staff.

sector-command.jpg

TO: All Starfleet Personnel at Kemaris Station

STARDATE: 11802.15

SUBJECT: Staff and Crew Members USS Equilism Wanted

Sector Command seeks a new staff and crew for the USS Equilism. The USS Equilism has been in spacedock for about eight months for a major overhaul. When she is ready in about a month she needs a new staff and crew for new missions into the Delta Quadrant. If you are interested you are invited to join the meeting in Conference Room 47-A. There you can ask any question you want on the positions.

footer.jpg

<OOC: If you want to play, just create a character (without a rank) and reply in this thread. The roster of the USS Equilism can be found here: http://wiki.startrekequilism.com/index.php?title=USS_Equilism. Try to use the communication protocols listed here: http://wiki.startrekequilism.com/index.php?title=Game_Rules#Communication_protocols. Don't hesitate :)>

<CNS LT T'char>

::While wandering Kemaris Station in observation of station personnel, a message notification from Vice Admiral Alis Rimo claimed his attention.  'Interesting,' he thought to himself, as he turned to touch a wall panel::

COMPUTER: Directions to Conference Room 47-A please.

=/\= CNS Lt. T'char =/\=

<SCO VADM Alis Rimo>

::Alis was looking into space out of the window of Conference Room 47-A as he was waiting for people who were interested in joining the senior staff of the Equilism. He was really hoping people would be interested. In all of his career at Starfleet he never had a situation like this: a overhauled starship without a crew...::

<USS Equilism CO Captain Hozet Ashe >

::Existence is often binary, which is sensible to a Trill. Being made in pairs, most of life either reconciles itself either to art or to science. Waiting is a uniquely uncomfortable state of being that allows for neither and yet demands both.

In the time since Ashe had been assigned command, life was both familiar and powerfully unreal. Ashe's last iteration had commanded this vessel on her maiden voyage - what an odd, antiquated term - but the boundary between Trill pairings while seeming minor and accidental is actually vast and concrete.

Admiral Rimo, a rare figure of pragmatism and good sense had seemed frustrated enough to blow out a bulkhead when they repeatedly had discussed that a newly-upgraded, Sovereign-class starship had sat unused due to staffing shortages. The last decade had been very hard and terribly cruel to the Fleet, and this was the legacy of those years.

But the message had been received from Rimo and this was a rare opportunity to be sure. Ashe could not hope to know who it would bring to his ship, but as always he dwelt in quiet optimism and waited just a little longer.::

=/\= Captain Hozet Ashe =/\=

<SCO VADM Alis Rimo>

::Alis was pacing the Conference Room and sighed. He had been in here for over an hour and still no one showed up. It would be a marvelous opportunity for any Starfleet Personnel. As far as Alis knew this was the very first time applications for a starship for all positions except the Commanding Officer were opened up. You could even apply to become the Executive Officer... Why didn't someone show up?::

< LtJG. Abigail Rhodes>

::The door to the Conference Room opened and in strode a confident young woman, who wore the yellow of Tactical and Operations. At 5"6 and a little over 135 pounds she wasn't much to look at until you saw the steel in her eyes and understood everything; she had seen thing she did not want to talk about and has liquid nitrogen running in her veins. She was Abigail Rhodes, the one time Chief Tactical Officer on board the USS Equilism, and finally returning to active duty she was hoping to push her way up the totem pole.::

SCO: Reporting as requested sir! 

=/\= Lieutenant Junior Grade Abigail Rhodes =/\=

Edited by Vesica