Introductions

I'm older than dirt Star Trek, so once upon a time in the 1960's, Westwind was a kid and this new TV series came along called Star Trek. I looked forward to each new episode. And then watched reruns endlessly for years, wishing it would return. 

It was the dawn of the Third Age of Mankind Space Age, and I followed the Apollo Space program.  And a young Westwind was into Star Trek, Batman, Lost In Space, and I had a Forbidden Planet toy Robot.  

My favorite character was Spock. As a kid I wanted to be a Vulcan like Spock so much that I would stick my fingers in the tops of my ears to try to make them grow pointed. 

After Star Trek had come and gone, I would take boxes that mattresses are packed in, and stand them length-wise on end and turn them into a console/tactical station in the basement. I'd draw buttons on them, and inserted any real switches I could get ahold of. We had to make our own toys.

In the early 70's , a girlfriend and I drew space battles together. I drew two kinds of spaceships, one was like the Enterprise, the other was like the Valley Forge from the movie Silent Running. She called her fleet The Girl Gang with more traditional rockets. Another friend and I would climb the tree in the backyard and that was our starship. Different branches for different parts of the ship.

All that ToS imprinting, watching reruns while waiting for new Trek makes it impossible for any other ship to top The ToS Enterprise. The tech was new and unrefined, the ship was scrappy and durable even when 'she cannot take any more Capt'n'! 

In the early 90's I worked in the software industry just as Windows was hitting the market, and ended up as a technician in a clean room with 12 duplication systems. Each system ran off it's own mainframe computer and we had a space between each pair of systems you could barely walk through to get to the back of the machines. That was our Jeffries tube, climbing over wires in my white lab coat (which I still have), And I always called the machines 'beasties'. So I sort of got to play Scotty in RL. And yes, I was a miracle worker. 

(P.S. James Doohan lived in the same town as I at that time in the 90's and he frequented a store my then wife worked at.)

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 8:12 PM, Yy4u said:

Whomever designed the female uniforms for TOS is my hero...

I'm guessing Gene liked hiking up the hemlines.

I knew a Professor, head of the department, that watched The Next Generation purely to watch Marina Sirtis in her uniforms/outfits. His wife would roll her eyes, and roll another joint.

On 7/7/2023 at 9:12 PM, Yy4u said:

Whomever designed the female uniforms for TOS is my hero...

Some credit brings to women themselves. After many generations of forced cover of their knees and earlier, ankles, sometimes hair and even wrists, the mini skirt was a feminist act of rebellion, women taking control of their image. I'm ghost they did for ALL the right reasons.